01 02 03 Pinterest 911: Quiche or Not to Quiche? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Quiche or Not to Quiche?

34
That  has been a question for me for a long time. Although I LOVE quiche it is not something that I had braved myself from scratch. Pie crust is something I had a fear of as it only take one little mistake and it will be ruined for everyone. I am thrilled to announce that last week I took the leap of faith and ventured into the world of buttery, flaky pie crust. As a result I am pleased to announce, it turned out WAY better than I could ever have imagined. It was so good that I used my homemade crust for not only a quiche one night but 24 butter tarts the next and then pumpkin pie yesterday for our Thanksgiving dessert.

Yeah, for bravery...

You will need the following ingredients to be well on your way to creating pie dough from scratch...

1 Egg
1 Tbsp Vinegar
5 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Crisco 

Crack the egg into a 1 Cup or larger measuring cup(preferably one that has the measurements listed on the side) and beat lightly. Adding to that 1 Tbsp of vinegar and mix...now fill the cup the rest of the way up to the 3/4 line with cold water and set aside to rest.



While the egg is doing its thing with the vinegar, mix all your dry ingredients together in a big bowl.

Side Note:  If you want to try a new chemical free way to make Baking Powder mix: 1 Tsp of Baking Soda with 2 Tsp of Cream of Tartar...this will make you 1 Tbsp of Baking Powder...you will need to use up what you mix right away in this state. If you want to make it ahead and store it you can add to that mix 1 Tsp of Corn Starch. The Corn Starch helps to absorb any air in the container and keep your powder from activating before you need it to...just make sure to keep it in a tightly sealed container.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

With all your dry ingredients mixed together, it is now time to add their Butter and Crisco friends to the mix by cutting them in with your pastry cutter.



I forgot to mention this before but if you don't have a pastry cutter you can feel free to use a regular bread and butter knife in its place.



All that is left to do now is to add your egg combo to your dry mix and combine them all together. This is the point where you will need to be careful. You want your dough to be mixed well but you don't want to over mix or you will end up with very dry, brittle crust that just falls apart...BOOO!! and that is where my fear came in to play. Please trust me when I say this is not as hard as it sounds..just mix until combined and you will be fine.

Once all your ingredients are in one bowl, mashed altogether and rolled into a ball it is time to wrap them up in a piece of saran wrap (cheap dollar store find) and leave it to set up in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes to overnight.

In case you are wondering why the ball is so small...this is all that was left  by time I remembered to take a picture of this step...sorry:(


The possibilities are endless on what you can make with your dough...if you need some ideas stay tuned and I will share with you my creations from the past few days.



Now Go Be Brave if you haven't already.... and make yourself some light, fluffy, butter pie dough. Have any tips on making pie crust...please feel free to leave them below.


Labels:

35 36 37 38