01 02 03 Pinterest 911: To Die For... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

To Die For...

34
Trust me after tasting this caramel you will NEVER, EVER want to go back to eating store bought again. Anyone who knows me well, knows that caramel is my downfall. I believe that it is due to the fact that I cannot eat chocolate so I have replaced that love with caramel. I put it in my steamed milk in the winter, crushed ice with milk in the summer...and always a double shot. I eat it in candy form and drizzled on my ice cream. Caramel and I definitely have a love affair on the go. Most recently I had a cake customer request a salted caramel cupcake. I had not ever attempted to make this myself at home yet so I went on the search for a recipe that someone was raving good things about. Enter Linda Jean of "Frosted" ...the pictures of her cupcakes made my mouth water and trust me so did the end result.

Ready for some of your own mouth watering caramel that you can put on anything...I do dream of that sometimes...caramel all over the place.

Ingredients needed:

2 Cups White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Water
12 Tablespoons Butter (the recipe calls for unsalted but all I had was salted and it worked just fine)
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Heavy Cream, at Room Temperature (or like me Who Forgot to Pull it Out in Time... Warmed in the Microwave for 20 seconds)

Now you are probably thinking...1 Tablespoon of water only, I know I was but I followed the recipe in that regard and let me tell you it works out in the end. Pour your sugar and eek! 1 Tablespoon of water in to a pot set to medium heat (number 5/6 on my dial) and stir constantly until the sugar liquefies. When we say constantly...we mean CONSTANTLY otherwise the sugar WILL BURN. Burnt sugar is nobodies best friend and I don't want you to get discouraged with this recipe and miss out on homemade caramel.



Once the sugar has completely dissolved, add in your butter and vanilla extract, stirring them until they are thoroughly mixed together.



With your sugar, butter and vanilla all combined remove your pot from the heat and slowly whisk in your heavy cream until you see a deep, golden caramel brown colour and then set it aside to thicken for 5 minutes. After it has cooled and thickened slightly place your caramel in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or more to help it thicken further but not before taking a spoon to that delicious river and tasting it for yourself...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Who knew caramel could be this sweet? I was and still am we ALL are in LOVE!

Feel free to add to taste this caramel mix to your butter cream, drizzle it on top of cupcakes, ice cream, strawberry shortcakes...or just plain straight in to your mouth...SO GOOD that you will NEVER go back to store bought again. Once you have used up what you want, you can store the remainder in your fridge in a sealed container for future uses or midnight dips...Shhhh! I won't tell if you won't.

Here are the cupcakes and cake I created using this caramel in the butter cream...it gives the icing a nice ivory colour...




In my absence this past month I have been busy with BabyBears 5th birthday party and sculpting her cakes....

The pony cake was done for her party...she only wanted one sculpted pony and the bottom 3 are her toys:D


Can't have a rainbow party pony party with out rainbow insides :D


The Minion cake was one she had here at home with just us Bears:D



Now Go Be Brave... and create some homemade Caramel today.









Labels: ,

35 36 37 38